Lydia Ann, Post Harvey & Building the Masts
Dan Pecore, Shipwright
We spent the first 3-4 months after Harvey cleaning up and repairing things. Specifically, we first thoroughly cleaned and rearranged the Schooner shop. We then replaced all of the motors on the stationary power tools in the Farley shop and our own shop. And then we repaired the roofs on the Schooner/maritime museum structures that were damaged and leaking.
As for the Schooner herself, it appears that when the storm surge came through, the vessel was lifted by the stern slightly and then dropped back down on her cradle. To stabilize her, we jacked her up a few inches and re-positioned the cradle. The shade structure over the boat was almost totally destroyed and damaged the Schooner when it blew into the gunwale of the vessel. We have since repaired the damage.
Moving forward, we replaced the shade structure to protect any epoxy covered surfaces from UV exposure. The epoxy that was protecting the mahogany rails, trim, etc. was seriously abraded by the extreme winds and will have to be re-coated. We have also started construction of both masts and the gaffs, booms, etc. The masts are at least 36’ long, hexagonal in cross-section and constructed out of Douglas Fir. Any day now we expect another delivery of rift-sawn, heartwood Douglas Fir that was sourced in Canada to complete the spars.
We are extremely fortunate to have longtime volunteer Harold Yoesel who helped greatly in all the aforementioned tasks. In addition Norm Davis, Leroy Stephenson, Greg Hagarty, and Kenyon Steiner have joined the team. Harry Martinez and Patrick Moran help when possible. As spars are being built, we will finish installation of motor and drive as well as install lifelines and stanchions.
(Click on the photos to enlarge)
Lydia Ann’s foremast is nearly finished. Panels were trimmed and glued around the core. We used Spanish windlasses every 16 inches to hold it together as the glue dried. The tenon at the base of the mast will be cut to length later.