The Tarpon Era in Port Aransas: our love affair with “An Atlantic creature with large eyes” (Megalops atlanticus)
by Rick Pratt
February 27, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.
They were called “Silver Kings”.
They gave us our name (we were called Tarpon, Texas from 1888 to 1910).
They brought the Farley boat builders to town.
They kept us all employed and fed for nearly a century.
They were the centerpiece of our fame.
Then they went away.
Rick Pratt is the Director of the Port Aransas Museum, a boatbuilder, and the 22nd Keeper of the Aransas Pass Light Station.
The Port Aransas Preservation & Historical Association has a great line up for the 2017 Winter Lecture Series. The talks are free to the public and held at the Port Aransas Museum and Community Center on Mondays: February 6, 20 & 27. Doors open at the 6:30 p.m. for a cheese and wine reception in the museum, and the public is encouraged to browse the Museum and shop in the Gift Shop. At 7 p.m. everyone moves across the walkway to the Community Ctr. for the lecture.