The Tarpon Era in Port Aransas
Our love affair with “An Atlantic creature with large eyes”
Presented by Rick Pratt
- They were called “Silver Kings”
- They gave us our name (we were called Tarpon, Texas from 1888-1910)
- They brought the Farley boat builders to town
- They kept us all employed and fed for nearly 3/4 of a century
- They were the centerpiece of our fame
- Then they went away
Rick Pratt is the former director of the Port Aransas Museum, a boatbuilder, and the 22nd Keeper of the Aransas Pass Light Station.
The Port Aransas Preservation & Historical Association has a great line up for the 2019 Winter Lecture Series. The talks are free to the public and held at the Port Aransas Museum and Community Center.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m. for a cheese and wine reception in the museum, and the public is encouraged to browse the Museum and shop in the Gift Shop. At 7 p.m. everyone moves across the walkway to the Community Center for the lecture.